Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Ten Films that made me love Film

Maybe you are just beginning to have an interest in film as you stumble upon this blog. My interest in film was sparked chiefly by watching them. Here are ten films that made me love films.

1. Pulp Fiction (1994)
Pulp Fiction is a film that I think anyone can appreciate. The film is crammed with great dialogue and memorable characters. While there is enough action to satisfy any audience, this film also has a deeper layer, holding a powerful story of redemption. After seeing Pulp Fiction, my mind was made up. I loved the movies.

2. Platoon (1986)
Platoon delivers an intense emotional shock through its gritty portrayal of relationships between soldiers in the Vietnam War. This was the film that showed me how powerful a story can be when it is shown on the screen. This film sparked my desire to see more films, in hope that others would measure up to this mark.

3. The Godfather (1972)
The Godfather is amongst the greatest films of all time. It served to reinforce how powerful a medium film is. The tale of Michael Corleone's descent from war hero to mafia boss is staggeringly told in this classic portrait of the seedy under belly of America.

4. Ed Wood (1994)
This film recounts the exploits of the so called worst director of all time, Edward D. Wood Jr. Rather than spend time taking cheap shots at Ed Wood, director Tim Burton shows the eccentric Ed Wood as a man who truly loved all that cinema had to offer. Seeing a man who loved film so much that he did anything he could do to put on another production inspired me to refuse to abandon hope as I marched forward in pursuit of a filmmaking career.

5. Up in the Air (2009)
In 2009, America was weary of the recession and reaching out in hopes of making a connection. Up in the Air was such a tremendous film for me because it captured all of the fears, doubts, and hopes of that time.

6. The Deer Hunter (1978)
This film's stingingly tragic end struck me in a way only a great film can ever manage to accomplish. The cripplingly real story of friends torn apart by war seized me and once again reminded me of the strength of a film.

7. Memento (2000)
Memento is undoubtedly one of the most innovative films of all time. The method in which the story is told is stunningly unique and makes for one great film. Memento opened me up to the endless possibilities of storytelling through film.

8. Ran (1985)
A late life masterpiece from director Akira Kurosawa, Ran is lush with color and epic in scope. Kurosawa's camera angles and directorial style showed me the storytelling advantages that can only be taken advantage of by a filmmaker.

9. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
This film stunned me in its creation. I was baffled by how a director could make a space ship look so realistic when mankind had yet to set foot on the moon. 2001: A Space Odyssey opened me up to the fact that there are no limits in filmmaking.

10. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (1966)
The final showdown in this epic spaghetti western is among the best shot sequences in all of film. Only through a masterful use of the camera was such an epic cinematic feat possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment